Sunday 11th September     11-5pm

Halton Village Festival

Childrens Rides • Barbeque • Tombola • Raffle • Vintage and Classic Vehicles

Produce Stalls • Cakes • Halton House Open Day • Refreshments • Steam Train Rides

Trenchard Museum Also Open The Trenchard Museum is based at RAF Halton. The overall aim of the museum is to preserve and display items that relate to the early history of Royal Air Force and in particular the training of apprentices which took place at RAF Halton. The museum has two complete aircraft, many models of aircraft, a number of aero engines, weapons and other equipment on display.
On September 13th 2015 the doors will be opened to the public for a rare chance to view the interior. Halton House has been owned by the RAF for around 90 years now and is used as the officers mess. The building may well already be familiar though as it has been featured on numerous film and TV programmes including The Queen, Eastenders, Poirot, Downtown Abbey, Dancing on the Edge, Flyboys, Casino Royale and the series Lord Lucan, to name a few. By around 1880 plans were being made for the construction of Halton House. In July of 1883 the house was finished, although it was not formally opened until 15th January 1884. The following two photographs show some of the building in progress. During the second half of the nineteenth century the Rothschilds acquired and constructed seven grand houses in the Vale of Aylesbury. Of the seven, the house at Aston Clinton is no longer standing, Mentmore Towers and Eyethrope Pavillion are in private hands, Tring Manor House is home to the Tring Arts Educational School, Waddesdon Manor and Ascot House are held by the National Trust and Halton House is an RAF Officers’ Mess. There has been an impressive building at Halton from the Norman conquest, when it belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury. Thomas Cranmer, however, sold the house to Henry Bradshaw, Minister of Finance in the mid 16oo’s. It remained within the Bradshaw family for some time, was then sold to Sir Francis Dashwood in 1720 and was then held in the Dashwood family, for around 150 years. The grounds of the old original Halton House, was a big park, which was then dissected by Grand Union Canal. In June 1849 Sir George Dashwood split it up and the contents auctioned, and in 1853 the property was sold to Baron Lionel de Rothschild, who extended his property Tring. Lionel then continued the policy of expansion. The old house was uninhabited, and may be rejected, and finally demolished. Sunday 13th September 2015 From 10am - 4pm (Off the B4009 Wendover to Tring Road) (HP22 5PG) Free Admission A vintage bus will run between Halton House, the Trenchard Museum and the Halton Village Festival Free Parking and limited disabled access will be available (please note there are no disabled toilets) Light refreshments and souvenirs will be on sale www.haltonhouse.org.uk

Halton House Open Day

Halton House Open Day